Thursday, June 16, 2011

Mango Macadamia Bread, and old friends


"Ribbit... Frogggggy!!" Those were the first words spoken in almost 30 years when my high school "brother" and dear friend Victor, with his sweet wife Vicki, landed on my doorstep a few months back. Through the wonders of facebook, my "bro" and I were able to reconnect, and finally catch up on life again.

Victor and I met in high school, instantly clicking, able to talk about anything and everything. Having had similar, dysfunctional family backgrounds, we knew we had to be brother and sister somehow. He gave me the nick name, "Froggy", and honestly, I can't remember why. Could be that I always drew pictures of frogs :-) A sight we were, too... me at 5' and he 6'. After high school, we simply lost touch. Back in 1981, you had to rely on the written word and a home phone to keep in touch. We both moved around so much, each of us just sort of disappeared.

Victor teaching Kidlet how to play the ukelele

Victor and his wife, Vicki, now live in paradise- Hawaii- and with an amazing green thumb they grow mango's, orchids, love to smoke meats, and make lots of mango bread! They are about the neatest couple on the planet, and I love and miss them to pieces...


So when I was in the grocery store the other day and saw mango's on sale, I knew that I had to make the mango bread that Victor is always talking about. He said that he got the recipe from someone else, who said that it was actually an adapted Sam Choy recipe. All I know is that it is fabulous! My husband took almost an entire loaf to work to share with his co-workers, declaring it the best he has ever eaten!

While mine didn't rise as much as Victors does (due to testing with a knife too soon while baking, and deflating a tad), it didn't affect the flavor one bit. I could truly, and dangerously so, eat both loaves on my own- they're that good!

Here's to dear friends, and "brothers"...




Mango Macadamia Bread

2 c flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
3 eggs, beaten
3/4 cup oil
1 1/2 c sugar
2 cups peeled, diced fresh mango's
1/2 c golden raisins
1/2 c chopped macadamia nuts
1/2 c shredded coconut

Preheat oven to 350F. Spray two 9 x 5 loaf pans with non stick cooking spray, and flour the bottom only.

Sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon.

With a whisk, combine eggs, oil, and sugar. Add dry ingredients and mix. The mixture will be very thick. Fold in the mango, raisins, nuts and coconut.

Bake 45 to 60 minutes until golden brown, and a toothpick in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and leave in pans 15 minutes. Remove from pans and cool on racks. Makes 2 loaves.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

7 comments:

Sinful Southern Sweets said...

Very Nice! Trying this soon!

Erin said...

Oh I love this! Great flavor combo.

VicMan said...

Great first attempt Froggy! It IS just that good! I use regular raisins and the mango juice and all and just over cook until dark brown. That's the only difference. Glad you guys enjoy it too.

You have an amazing way with words... always have.

We are probably going to be back in mid November and sure hope to see you guys... and eat some more of that fantastic food you are always taunting us with! Aloha Froggy!

Jamie said...

I love stories like this and they sound too cool for words! I am not a mango freak but this bread (cake?) looks to delicious and I would never say no to a slice!

365daysofbaking said...

That looks yummy and has Hawaii written all over it!

Becky Brown said...

Wowie - this sounds fantastic! And I'm so glad you and your bro are reconnected!

Colette (Coco) said...

This one looks wicked yummy
and I love the pic of your hubby teaching your baby to play the ukulele!