Sunday, November 14, 2010

Pumpkin Biscotti with Toasted Pine Nuts and Cinnamon Chips


Of course y'all know I bake. A lot. An obscene amount of cakes, really. Last week I had both my sons birthday cake and a Crack Pie sitting on my counter. Well, make that 2 crack pies- but I was a good girl and gave one away.


Because I have so much sweet stuff lying around here all the time, my cravings have a tendency to lean towards the not so sweet variety. Just something with a touch of sweetness, to compliment a nice, hot, cup of coffee.

I was doing a little hanging out over at My Baking Addiction last week, and came across Jaime's post for Pumpkin Pie Biscotti. I absolutely adore biscotti. There is not a more perfect pairing with coffee than to dunk in a perfectly crisp biscotti, in my opinion.



Taking note of the changes Jaime felt she would make the next time she made this recipe, I heeded her advice, as well as adapting the recipe to ingredients I had on hand. I used a mixture of dark brown and vanilla sugar's, then added toasted pine nuts and cinnamon chips. I also baked the biscotti a bit longer to achieve the crunch and "dunkability" I absolutely love. These are fabulous to make and give away for the holidays... if you don't eat them all yourself ;-)



Pumpkin Biscotti with Toasted Pine Nuts and Cinnamon Chips
adapted from My Baking Addiction (via Cooking in an Apron)

3-1/2 c flour
3/4 c dark brown sugar, packed
3/4 c vanilla sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/2 c pumpkin puree
2 large eggs, beaten
2 tsp Bourbon Vanilla
2 Tbs unsalted butter
3/4 c pine nuts
1/2 c cinnamon chips
1 egg
1 Tbs water
Sugar Glitter Crystals (if desired, for garnish)
Melted white chocolate (if desired, for garnish)


Pre heat oven to 350F.

Combine flour, sugars, baking powder, salt, and pumpkin pie spice in a large bowl. In a small bowl combine pumpkin puree, 2 eggs, and vanilla. Add the wet pumpkin mixture to the dry ingredients. The mixture will be a little hard to combine at first, but will gradually come together to form a thick dough.

Toast the pine nuts in a small pan with the butter until lightly golden- just a few minutes. Cool, then gently add the pine nuts and cinnamon chips to the biscotti dough. Place dough on a floured surface and divide into 4 equal portions. Shape each portion into a log shape, about 8" long, and place on a parchment lined baking sheet, 3" apart. Very slightly flatten the logs.

In a small bowl beat the remaining egg with water and lightly brush the surface of each with the egg wash. At this time you can sprinkle with decorative sugar, if you desire. I used Gold Glitter Crystals.

Bake for 27 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for 15 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 300F.

On a cutting board, carefully cut each log on the diagonal into 1/2" slices with a very sharp bread knife.

Return the cut biscotti to a parchment lined baking sheet, with the cut sides facing down. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Remove pan from oven and turn over each biscotti. Return to oven and bake for an additional 8 to 10 minutes, until nice and golden. Remove from oven and cool on wire rack.

Once cool, drizzle with melted white chocolate, if desired. Approximately 32-40 biscotti.

Note: Oven types and temperatures may vary. Some cooking times may take less or longer than others.


Stumble Upon Toolbar

11 comments:

RJ Flamingo said...

This sounds perfect for me, too!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

It is easy to see how these would fly out of my cookie jar faster than I could make a second pot of coffee.

Barbara Bakes said...

I'm not usually a biscotti girl, but I know I'd love one of these. So pretty how you packaged them for the picture!

Unknown said...

OH my! These look devine. Love that they have pine nuts in them also. Your pictures had me wanting to grab into the screen to snatch a few. They look like they would make a perfect holiday gift too!

Heather @ He Cooks She Cooks said...

YUM! Love biscotti. It is actually my favorite way to eat chocolate... lol

RecipeGirl said...

I've been wanting to make Pumpkin Biscotti forever now! Maybe I'll do it as a little gift for my Thanksgiving guests. Yours turned out wonderful!

kat said...

Those would be so good with a cup of chai!

Elle said...

Biscotti is one thing I always want to make and never get around to it. These look wonderful!

Peter M said...

Great pics, Jedna and having sampled your biscotti, I know these would be delish.

coco cooks said...

Simply gorgeous!

Patsyk said...

What perfect biscotti... I'd love to add those to my gift baskets this year.